We’ve all been here, you just inherited a project and it’s a mess.
This will do some basic cleanup:
- Set all indentation to either tabs or spaces.
- Add a
\n to the end of files.
- Trim whitespace at the end of lines.
- Remove consecutive newlines.
This should cut down on most useless changes in your VCS log.
sanitize_files is language-agnostic, and should work for most (all?) common
programming languages. It will not fix language-specific code styles (location
of braces, identifier naming, etc.).
Version 1.1, 20160424
- Removing consecutive newlines didn’t work as intended.
- Better ignoring of VCS directories.
- Add encoding:utf-8 for Python 2.
- Also works if path is a file (rather than a directory).
- path is now mandatory and no longer defaults to cwd; it’s confusing and may
clobber stuff unintentionally.
Version 1.0, 20141104